Saturday, June 15, 2013

Colorado National Monument (Grand Junction, Co)



Colorado National Monument (locally referred to as The Monument) is a part of the National Park Service near the city of Grand Junction, Colorado. Spectacular canyons cut deep into sandstone and even granite--gneiss--schist rock formations, in some areas.

On April 24th, I got up early and sadly left the Red Cliffs Lodge for Grand Junction, Co. I drove past the west entrance of the Colorado NM for the east entrance.

I wanted to drive the Rim Rock Road so I was on the cliff side of the road. It made accessing the overlooks easier but it also ended up making me extremely nervous. At times, the cliff edge was only three or four feet from the edge of the road.

At one point, I heard my new camera sliding. I leaned over to grab it but I also turned the steering wheel to the right. Happily, there were sand and bushes next to me at that point.

While viewing the road below at an overlook beyond the visitor's center, I turned to watch the UPS truck drive by towards the visitor's center. I wondered how many times they had travelled the road below me and behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment